Often onion is recognized as the queen of vegetables for their culinary versatility, intense flavor, its therapeutic qualities, powerful antiseptic properties. The onion is rich in vitamins A, B and C, is an important source of magnesium, iron, calcium and phosphorus.
Raw, is a good digestive stimulant and liver tonic. Cooked, can help relieve flatulence and constipation problems chronic infusion of boiled onion skin relieves the unpleasant symptoms that cause stomach problems. But there are much more beneficial properties of the onion I could find on my bedside book: Health drinks and Healing, by Anne McIntyre (Ed. Grupo Zeta, 2000).
Characteristics of onion
The onion, a close relative of garlic and its healing properties, was highly revered in ancient Egypt as a symbol of vitality and was taken as "a remedy that cures everything." We found records dating back to 4000 BC that would link to the onion with some religious rites and therapeutic uses.
Its therapeutic qualities proved very helpful in relieving infectious diseases such as typhoid, cholera and plague. Also during World War II used the vapor of the onion paste to relieve pain and to help your wound healing.
Ways to prepare the onion
Drinks with onion cure can be prepared in various forms: tea, wine, decoction, syrup and juice (juice). For this you can use any type or variety of round onions, small onions and not used to marinade. Also, the onion soup is good for weight loss.
Tips for buying a good onion
Whenever you buy onions round to check that these are firm, without wrinkles at the outer layer or skin of the onion. Nor should they be soft on top. It is also worth mentioning that onions with green shoots usually are past their prime.
Healing qualities of the onion
Among all the benefits of the onion to health, I found these:
- Raw onion is highly antiseptic, and attacks the infectious bacteria, including salmonella. It is also effective against tuberculosis and urinary tract infections such as cystitis.
- The pungency of onions increases blood circulation and cause sweating. In cold weather is ideal to protect against infection and helps to cure colds and flu.
- The onion juice is excellent to deal with the sore throat.
- The onion is a good diuretic, so it is advisable if you have a disease such as gout or simply to relieve fluid retention.
- It has detoxifying effects and is useful in combating fatigue.
- Improves circulation and helps combat high cholesterol levels.
Finally, remember that the onion is inexpensive and goes well with many foods. Also, the onion has many nutrients. It is important to include in the daily diet to see results, for something you say the queen of vegetables.
Enjoy this article?
You might also like